- 2 cups moist-style cake mix (1/2 of an 18.25-ounce box), I used cherry chip
- 1 cup canned pure pumpkin
- 1/3 cup fat-free liquid egg substitute
- 2 Tablespoons sugar-free maple syrup (I used reduced sugar)
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Combine all cupcake ingredients in a mixing bowl with 1/3 cup of water. Whip with a whisk or fork for 2 minutes until well blended.
Spray a 12-cup muffin pan with nonstick spray or line with baking cups. Evenly spoon batter into muffin cups.
Place pan in the oven and cook for about 12 minutes (until cupcakes have puffed up but still appear a little gooey on top).Top with low-fat or fat-free whipped topping.
This recipe is adapted from the Hungry Girl website, click here for a link to the original recipe. I had to make a few adjustments to the recipe based on what I had in my pantry, but I'd love to try the original version too. And now that I'm thinking about it, I bet it would also pretty good with a chocolate cake base. Hmm, anyone have a birthday coming up that I can make more cupcakes for?