Pigs in Rice
- 1 lb. mild sausage (although I'm sure the spicy would be very good too!)
- 1/2 c. chopped onion
- 1 cup rice
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1 can Mexican stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup Monterrey Jack cheese
- Cook the rice according to the directions.
- Brown the sausage and drain most of the grease. Put the meat aside and cover with foil to keep warm.
- In the remaining grease, cook the onions for a few minutes until soft and translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cheese and cook for about 10 minutes or so until heated through, stirring often. (If you don't like big chunks of tomato, you can break it up in the pan while you're cooking.)
- Top with cheese before serving.
Combine 2 16-oz. bags of frozen peas, thawed with:
- 1/2 c. cubed cheddar
- 1/2 c. cubed mozzerella
- 1 c. mayonaise
- 1 small onion, chopped (this is what the recipe called for, I only used half and saved the rest for the pigs in rice, and it was still a lot. I think 1/4 of an onion or less, or using dried onions would be better and not so strong.)
- salt and pepper to taste